Toledo Ohio Home Owners Insurance
Because everyone’s needs are not the same, it is best to consult your agent to help assess your needs and find the insurance policy that is right for you.
What is Homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means it covers both damage to your property as well as your liability (or legal responsibility) for injuries or property damage caused by you or your family to others. This includes damage caused by household pets.
It also provides financial protection against accidents and disasters. A standard policy will insure the home itself and the things you keep in it.
Damage caused by most disasters is covered, but there are exceptions. The most significant is damage caused by floods, earthquakes and poor maintenance. Be aware you must buy two separate policies for flood and earthquake coverage, and maintenance-related problems are the homeowners’ responsibility.
Why do you need homeowners insurance? It’s really about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens. Since your home is one of your largest investments you’ll want to be sure it—and all that’s inside—is well protected. Some other reasons are:
- If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you’d need money to repair or replace it.
- If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
It is important to understand that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Ask your agent to talk about what is covered and be sure to read your policy carefully so you know exactly what’s included and what is not.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Here are few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decisions:
- How much will it cost to rebuild my home and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed? (Ask your agent to talk you through your home’s features and the things you own so you can make an informed decision about coverage.)
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What discounts are available? (Ask about multiple-policy, security system and fire resistance discounts.)
What’s the process for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)